Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Derailed and Uplifted

               I took my place in line and placed my items on the counter. Another came and stood behind me. The strength of her sigh was louder than its sound. I know not why but immediately thought I had done something wrong. I was the source of her sigh and felt frustration. Less than a minute but the sequence of thoughts and feelings cascaded over a lifetime of self-judgment. And then the whisper of “Little One…Oh Little One.” I giggled and derailed the oncoming train wreck of thoughts. Another giggle, if her presence and energy could so change me, then perhaps my own could change hers. I turned with a smile and gentle hello, my eyes reaching into hers. It matters not what happened next. The real story is not the ending. Except to say, I walked outside on a quilted cloud covered, dark gray, sunless day…and thought perhaps I needed my sunglasses.

“When all your desires are distilled, you will cast just two votes: to love more, and be happy.” — Hafiz

No comments:

Post a Comment