Monday, December 23, 2013

Why of What

I read and re-read the response – “What for?” The thread would not let go. They did not ask “why?” Is there a difference between “why?” and “what for?” Searching for the difference, “what” asks which thing or which particular one of many.” “Why” asks for what purpose, reason, or cause; with what intention, justification, or motive. “What” felt like an object or something expected to be received in exchange. “Why” went to the heart and mind and asked the source of the intent.

This time of the year especially, “what” abounds. Unless the gift disappoints the “what” no one asks “why.” Do we open “why” or “what”? Do we buy “what” or “why”? Can “what” oppose “why”?


I bowed my head and smiled. Wanting to respond truthfully to the question asked of me and the question I asked myself, I typed “love.” And with a silent pause, my fingers returned to the keyboard and typed “giggle.”

No comments:

Post a Comment