Saturday, May 26, 2012

Helping hand


The morning‘s walk against the wind, weakened body and shifting knees.  Bent over, with hands upon the knees, catching my breath and coaxing the knees to finish, a leaf went skipping by in front of me.  Like a child with arms waving in ecstatic glee the leaf skipped and hopped down the path.  The leaves and trees dancing and bending reminded me of the Flappers in the Roaring 20’s.  A caterpillar, with 16 legs, meandered slowly in front of me, oblivious to the wind and the potential speed of 16 legs.   

With a chuckle, smile and plea to finish, a small fingered stick blew to my feet.  Its texture weathered flowing with intricate movement of lines and shades.  Picking it up, I finished the walk, holding it gently in my tremored hand.  

Sometimes to finish, or simply to keep going, it helps to hold another’s hand.  Sometimes you need a skipping leaf, swaying dancing trees and leaves, and a caterpillar slowly meandering, to finish a leg of the journey. Remembering the hill yet to come, the reward accepted, hand in hand, and the prayer of my heart for all struggling to finish..."In lak ech" ...you are my other me, and my hand is in yours.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment